Do you guys remember how just a few months ago this picture made the rounds and everyone was asking, why the hell was this this first photo on the Web? Well, I found out at CERN.
We spent an afternoon talking to Silvano da Gennaro, the Creative Director, who told us that in the early 90s, he had been working on the album cover for Les Horribles Cernettes. It’s a sixties doo-wop group that his wife sang in - they performed (and still do perform) songs with lyrics about physics. I guess at the time, his office was near Tim Berners-Lee’s and one day when Tim was walking by, he saw the picture on Silvano’s computer and asked if he could use it to test the image capabilities of his new project, the World Wide Web. The rest, as they say, is history.
But Silvano was sort of adorable about it. He said, “We didn’t know we were making history. It was just a bit of fun.” It’s these kinds of stories that made my week awesome and kind of surreal.
- parasols likes this
- avedallworth reblogged this from chels
- chels reblogged this from prostheticknowledge and added:
- kluthvonreuter reblogged this from prostheticknowledge and added:
- theoceanblooms likes this
- sofresh likes this
- softbipolarity reblogged this from patrickschwasted
- emmacooper likes this
- patrickschwasted reblogged this from prostheticknowledge
- mobsixtoo reblogged this from prostheticknowledge
- maxcapacity likes this
- mikeymumblr likes this
- kerencone likes this
- keilani likes this
- enso likes this
- prostheticknowledge posted this